Reason for initialisation
For Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Roche South Africa wanted to highlight the importance of early detection and regular self-exams.
Roche South Africa also suffered negative brand reputation, and one of the goals was to overcome these negative sentiments and build positive brand reputation.
- Educate women and men about the importance of early detection. (Men can also be diagnosed with breast cancer. In fact, 1% of cancers in men is attributed to breast cancer.)
- Encourage women and men to conduct regular, self-breast exams every month.
- Drive traffic to the Roche South Africa website to gain more information.
- Dispel the negative perception about the cost of breast cancer medication.
Campaign target market
Primary – Women aged 30 and older.
Secondary – Men 30 years and older.
Breast cancer, which represents ¼ of all cancers, is not a topic people talk about unless they have to.
It was important to make breast cancer an everyday conversation, via a smart, cost-effective digital and public relations campaign.
It was also essential to reframe and explain the extensive and costly innovation behind breast cancer medication to provide balanced view about the cost of treatment
1 in 27 South African women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime and about 1% of cancers in men, is attributed to breast cancer.
When it comes to cancer, early detection is key, as this gives patients more options to available treatments.
G&G Digital conceptualised and executed the #Every30Days campaign.
#Every30Days was designed to educate and encourage both women and men to participate in regular monthly self-exams.
Details of implementation
G&G Digital wanted the #Every30Days campaign to live beyond the campaign dates and to stay in the minds of South African women and men for as long as possible.
- The campaign wasn’t limited to the 1-month campaign period during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- Transform a difficult topic to be light-hearted and part of the everyday conversation.
Evaluation and results
Time frame of the project: 15 September 2018 to 30 November 2018.
The return of investment was 170:1, exceeding industry standard of 6:1 for this sector.
The campaign also shifted the perception of Roche from the negative to a positive understand of breast cancer treatments.
- More than 14 000 people from our target market visited the landing page and watched the videos.
- Visitors spent an average of 2 minutes and 57 seconds on the page, demonstrating that they gained value from the content, videos and infographic.
We are so grateful for the work G&G Digital did on the #Every30Days campaign to raise awareness on breast cancer self-examination. They conceptualised the #Every30Days hashtag campaign and brought this subject into the social conversation and the media spotlight, with the hashtag still being reported in media today.Esnath Muzenda
#Every30Days – 2019 – Breakthrough Work